Saturday, June 29, 2013

Where's Waldo?

I feel like Americorps is just one big "Where's Waldo" search book, they give you a region you're in but then after that good luck finding WHERE you are in that region. Family back at home only knows where I am if I update them, and on campus it's a big "have you seen so-and-so...oh well how about so-and-so" it's a big hide-and-seek game.
Well to update you all...
I'm in Iowa, yet again. Will be here for a couple weeks, I'm technically on vacation right now then when everyone else comes back there will be a week of transition/midyear trainings. During break I have three days I'm working, tonight, Monday, and Tuesday. Today I'll be working at a parade to make sure traffic doesn't interfere with the parade. Monday and Tuesday I'll be working at an animal shelter. During midyear we'll brief on our next project and I'll get chain saw trained! I'm really excited to go through chain saw training, but underneath the excitement is a bunch of nervousness and doubt...but it'll be okay! I am looking forward to getting every new opprotunity out of Americorps that I can :) I don't want to pass up a chance to do something potentially life changing just because I'm nervous...what's the fun in that?!

Break is so relieving, people are still on campus but there's a lot less people since many people went home..it's really nice. I am also a Van POC so I have keys to a van on campus so if I can gather enough people (which hasn't been an issue thus far) we can go travel a little bit..while staying in our 25 mile radius area :p

My next project is in Collegeville, Minnesota. We'll be working at a college helping to build deer fence around acres of Oak trees! Apparently the deer population has outgrown that of the oaks and they're hindering the growth of the forest! So we're just going to fence in the trees to give them a chance to grow! Also removing some invasive species? I haven't had the chance to do that really yet..should be a new adventure! Also there's a chance we'll be bottling some syrup? They have the best syrup in Minnesota apparently but it's not sold...you only get it if you work with it somehow SO MAYBE I'LL GET SOME SYRUP yay :) the perks of community service! We all know how I love pancakes soooooo yeah.

That's about it...I miss Minot but I'm sure to have a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment