Monday, July 29, 2013


The appartment I live in is partially underground so you maybe can tell from the photos. I share it with three other girls, there are 5 girls on my team (including my tl) who has her own apartment, and the four boys share an apartment. We cook/eat in our tl's room but have access to a kitchen in our own rooms incase we have our own food. The food is from our food budget though, although the sponsor does take us out to lunch once a week on wednedays which is AMAZING. The fence was done last Friday, took us two weeks. I didn't see any animals while working but I heard that some of the guys say deer inside of the fence and they were planning to go on a hunt soon? Should be interesting. Now that we're done with the fence we started and finished painting within the last week so now we're on to splitting and stacking wood! They need a lot of wood to power the pottery warehouse as well as other things around campus. I'm only in Minnesota for 3 weeks so we're departing this coming Friday to head back to campus.
My next project is exciting though! It's actually two smaller projects. The first will be in Vinton, IA with Parks and Rec my main task will include falling and cutting up trees damaged in the 2011 windstorm. The rest of the team (those who aren't sawyers) will be working on other tasks to beautify the park! After that we're doing to Michigan to be camp counselors at Lake Sherman YMCA! I'm a little nervous about that since I've never worked around kids much but it should be fine! I'll just be participating and leading them to activities! Should be interesting, hopefully I'll learn new things about how to lead groups (even if it is children)!
I came up with a really cool reflection for the team in which they create a "debrief" for their family/friends. I figured since I know I'm having a party when I get back and will probably be bombared with questions about what I've done a million times why not just create a presentation to share with people who are curious. It should be fun, although it does have to maintain some professionalism since it's for an activity so it may be a little dry but ohwell I'll try to be as interesting as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment