Saturday, August 17, 2013

so far during fourth round..

So for fourth round, it's not actually all in one place - it's split round. I'm in Vinton, Iowa for the first half then going to Augusta, Michigan for the last half. It's actually really nice in the way that I won't be doing ONE job for 8 weeks straight because that can get rather tiresome..not that the shorter version is any better but still. In Viton we're working with Vinton Parks and Rec. it's a really nice sponsor. I love our supivisor! The team is split in two, six working at Riverside Park clearing invasives and down/dead trees and the other half building a firepit/landscaping at Celebration park. I've been working in Riverside Park since I'm a sawyer - I've only sawed once though so doesn't make much difference. The first time I sawed, I sawed my boot a little so I pass on that job when possible. We've cleared a lot, which is really nice to see... I like seeing the difference from day to day, it's cool being able to see it go from brush/weeds to clear grass. It's really tiring work though, I'm exhausted every day after work...I've never been so tired in my life! But the days 730-4 seem short - I guess because we work so early..I don't know..not complaining just saying it's tough work and I'll be glad when we can go to Michigan. In Michigan we'll be serving as camp counselors at Lake Sherman YMCA. This is important because by having an NCCC team there the camp saves approx. 20,000 dollars in opperational dollars which allows them to continue offering the programs to schools at reduced prices they can afford. I'm really anxious to go...we get a solid week of training but still I've never really worked with kids and I'll be on my own, the team will be seperate which is also going to be hard because we're so used to being as a team. This week we did an ISP at the Sweet Corn Festivel in Cedar Rapids, it was really good. Personally I emptied trashes for four hours but surprisenly it wasn't bad at all - which gives you a hint how hard we're working during the week and how basically playing in trash is a vacation. The others also emptied trash and some cleaned up food tent areas...the people were really sweet, I loved it. So many people were interested in who we were and what we're doing..and all very appreciative of something seemingly small. It's always amazing to see people be thankful for what we're doing..because to us it's not really a huge deal..we're emptying trash, yanno? But to them it's a big deal and seeing their gratitude really makes it easier to enjoy. Tomorrow we're going to the Iowa state fair, it's the last day so it's half price! yay. Should be fun, but I'll spend the first half of the day working with my TL learning the ropes of paper work...should be...exciting? Is paper work ever fun? Oh well I don't mind it, while she's gone on vacation in a couple weeks I'm going to be responsible for the team/paper work for the team...Team Leader Brandy haha. Nothing much else going on I have two other ISP's planned with the Iowa Children's Museaum which I'm excited for..then that's all..Vinton Boomtown is next weekend which will be cool! It's a big fireworks show from what I understand. Michael and I took Monday as a personal day - we deserve it! Don't have any plans but no plans is better than working :)

No comments:

Post a Comment