Monday, April 22, 2013

and the first comes to an end

It's hard to believe I've been in St. Paul, Indiana for over a month, 7 weeks to be exact. It feels like NOTHING. I've explained the time warp I'm in as the days DRAG by but the weeks fly by! It's insane...it feels like I have lived here all my life but haven't been here quite long enough, if that makes sense.
The YMCA has treated us so well, I'm really going to miss the staff more than anything. I don't think any state can beat Indiana...the pure untouched beauty of it all is just amazing. I feel like a kid discovering the outside world for the first time, but I guess that's kind of what it's like...the first time I've been out "on my own" and seeing everything I've never been exposed to...I now understand why people travel.

I have loved our first round, even though the work has been long and sometimes rough it's so worth it..the appreciation in the sponsors face really makes up for any negative thing that's ever crossed my mind. The team isn't perfect and we do have our disagreements but I feel like we've learned how to come together and overcome a lot. There's been talk of other teams being disbanded because of people quitting and what not..I couldn't imagine. Obviously we'd be nice to anyone BUT we're already so close and just bonded...I couldn't imagine someone comeing from the "outside."

Our next project is Minot, North Dakota. We'll be there approx. the same amount of time; however, this time we'll be with another team. I know the TL of the team he was my temporary group leader so I think that'll be nice. It'll just be interesting working with another team because we've never worked with another team and nobody really knows anyone on that team..I'm excited though. I think it'll be nice.
This experience has really helped me grow out of my shell...I can only imagine where I'll be in 7 months.

I went to Louisville last weekend for Thunder Over Louisville, it's the kick off of the Kentucky derby. It was so much fun! A lot of walking though...pretty sure I hiked MILES AND MILES...got 4 blisters and sore body BUT it was so beautiful! It's a great way to explain Americorps NCCC...it may hurt and you may want to stop and take a break but if you keep going and perservere you'll eventually have the time of your life (maybe without even knowing) and make memories you'd never have otherwise..this time last year I never thought I'd be sitting in Indiana talking about my day trip to Kentucky before going back to Iowa to prepare for North Dakota...going to North Carolina was a big deal for me...Americorps has opened my eyes I guess you could say to put things in perspective.

okay I've just rambled a lot but that's what's going on in my head :)
I love and miss you all - please write me or text me or something...I like hearing about things.
However, in North Dakota I may not have cell phone service...should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment