Friday, February 8, 2013

continued update

Today we had our last catered meal which was fabulous, I've been eating better here than I did before! Well not better, but more. We went grocery shopping last night which was an experience in itself. It's weird to think you're shopping for 10 people, it's a lot of food! But we managed to stay under budget, so go group M :)
Today we're just doing some final paper work before CTI starts (corps training institute) on Monday. We find out who will be on our teams Monday too - excited!
Also tonight I'm going to Target in Cedar Rapids and I'm super pumped about that, just to get off campus. There are tunnels connecting the four main buildings we go in so there's really no need to go outside so I have found that I'm not outside often - probably not a good thing, but it's very convienant in the weather. Which isn't that bad! It's snowy but it's not too cold until the wind picks up. The sky is probably the prettiest part out here - looks like it goes on forever! Kind of has an orange tint at night.
So far we've done uniforms, policy, and a basic orientation to CTI. This will last until March 8th when we have our induction ceremony, I'd say everyone is welcome to come but flying out here for just one night may not be exactly easy.

On that note - planes are SUPER small. I pictured them being a lot bigger, a girl here said that whenever she's flown the planes have been bigger, so maybe it's just because it's government funded. The plane wasn't bad though, the O'hare airport in Chicago is huge though, so if you ever have to go through there just bring some good shoes and walk fast!

Tomorrow starts my first weekend which is already pretty much planned. Saturday 8am I am doing the pack test for the fire fighting team, then Saturday afternoon I'm going on a shuttle to the "mall" in Cedar Rapids, I don't know exactly what's at this mall but I want to go. I don't really care where we go I just want to see everything.

It's only been a few days, but it feels like I've been here months already! But in a good way, kind of. I am starting to notice a difference in my personality and my approach to things. I'm doing things here already that I never thought I'd do. I'm a lot more open and social than I thought I could be, I haven't met that many people I really butt heads with so, so far it's been super positive. Going to bed by 10 (if not earlier) and getting up at 615 (it'll be earlier once we start PT) is kind of normal to me now. I feel like I get more accomplished by noon than I ever have before. Granted it's mainly getting up getting ready eating then trainings but still! It's interesting to see the changes happening so fast. I'm excited to see where I'll be by the end of the program.

I can't really think of anything else. But you guys should remember - "If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late!" it's been keeping me on time everywhere I go! I'm normally to muster (morning check-in) before my group leader is even there.

The atmosphere in this program is so pleasant, everyone is here for the same purpose and the same mind-set so it's really cool to see everyone, and meet so many different kinds of people. And honestly, if I can fit in well and love it I think anyone can! This program is already more than I ever expected it to be, and I can only imagine that it gets better.

Like I said in my last post - I'll update my address on here Monday night hopefully, maybe Tuesday. The one I posted before is still okay just the updated one will help them sort it faster.

Feel free to e-mail me or text me or whatever, I generally have a lot of free time. It's a lot of "hurry up and wait" like get to where you need to be then wait.

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment